Extensio animi ad magna - Stretching the souls to great things

Saturday 25 March 2017

What Does Easter mean for You?

This is a sad observation, and I hope I'm completely off base, but I'm almost certain that our culture is trending towards this incredibly disappointing habit. How many people know that we're currently in the season of Lent? Now, I'm going to bet that many people don't even know what that is, but that's not even the problem I'm seeing. Lent has a role in this problem, but I think the troubling thing is the lack of celebration from the worldwide church for the Easter season. I actually don't think the church is doing too much wrong, as every church I know is trying all they can to draw attention to the season. But when I compare individual's excitement to their behaviour during the Christmas season, you see a massive discrepancy that shouldn't exist. That doesn't mean at all we should lower the excitement around Christmas, but rather that we should raise the excitement around Easter.

Without Easter, there is no celebration around Christmas. The whole idea of God becoming a man as a baby would be pointless, and meaningless. Easter is the basis of our faith, the singular most important action in history. It is the proof of our religion, it is the basis on how we know God, it is the signal of security of our future. Really, everything about life, and eternity, can be tied to the events of Easter weekend. With all that in mind, how can we not celebrate Easter even more?

No comments:

Post a Comment