Extensio animi ad magna - Stretching the souls to great things

Thursday 18 August 2016

Exodus: Gods and Kings Movie Review

Rating: 8.4/10
Website: http://www.exodusgodsandkings.com/
Purchase: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/movie/exodus-gods-and-kings/id940901911

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. As I've discussed before, it seems to be a real issue in Hollywood that Christian based movies have to be twisted in order to come up with the theatrical effect that you look for in a hit film. If that theatrical aspect isn't there, the movie, no matter the story, does tend to be very bland. While this film does take some liberties, I found myself just enjoying it rather then focusing on those differences.

The movie focuses on the story of Moses and specifically his struggles with God in terms of the pain he had watching the pain of the Egyptians he had grown up with. It showed how Moses struggled to let his natural character fall to the side in order to let God do amazing work. It focused on the patience required by Moses, and the rest of the Israelites.

While some may argue that God was painted as a cruel being in the movie, or that some of the plagues were stretched, or that the story focused too much on rituals, I actually thought that the production crew did a fairly good job depicting the story. Of course, there were some differences, but not enough in my opinion to comprise the story, or the reason behind the story. The casting was amazing, the production was outstanding. The only thing to bring up is that there was some violence with war scenes and such.

This movie really made me think, and opened my eyes to a whole different side of the Moses story. I truly enjoyed the film, and would highly rate it to anyone. I would even watch it with a non-Christian friend, and expect them to enjoy it. 

HBO Watch

No comments:

Post a Comment