Extensio animi ad magna - Stretching the souls to great things

Monday 23 February 2015

Reading First Samuel

Especially in the Old Testament, I love reading about the characters of history. Just like I mentioned in Numbers, it's amazing to think that these events actually happened, and these people actually walked on this planet. I've really been focusing on certain characters from each book, and trying to see if their lessons learned apply to my life.

The character that jumped out at me from First Samuel is Saul. An interesting exercise that I like to participate it when reading historical narratives in the Bible, and focusing on these characters, is to select certain qualities that are similar in myself. I also like to search for qualities that I don't have, but would like to work on.

Saul is an interesting character, and a lot can be highlighted from his very eventful life. I want to highlight two specific things though, one negative and one positive.

Starting with the negative, Saul was very power hungry. I think this was the root of almost all of his problems. He was continually searching for more power, or to maintain his control or grip over the power he already had obtained. Ultimately, this consumed his life, and flooded over into his decisions and actions, which in turn changed Saul's character. He went from a shy, mild mannered man, to a angry, self-conscious, wary, short-fused king. He spent much of his life searching for David, to kill him to maintain his own hold on the throne. He snapped multiple times in the quest of control over the throne, throwing spears at multiple people. He decided to disobey God, just to get the favor of the people to keep his power. He even went ahead and offered sacrifices to God without the priest (Samuel) just to make sure the people didn't leave him. All of Saul's actions were drastic measures to keep the power or gain more.

However, Saul wasn't always this way. Before he was anointed as king, Saul was the obedient, meek son. He jumped at the opportunity to help his father, and was well respected in the community. It was only after he tasted power for the first time that his character changed.

I feel a slight connection with Saul. I have the same issue where power can become an overtaking search in my life. I believe there are many Christians who have the same problem. For some, it is a matter of staying away from those leadership positions that offer power. But we all can't do that, and sometimes it is better to have Christians in those leadership positions.

The best tip that I have found that works, is rather then make that leadership position about you, and your decisions or successes, make it about God. Turn everything back to the Lord. If Saul would have done that as king, he would have been recognized as a success instead of a failure, a madman. Same as every leader in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment